I took a stab at this in the noted branch. my glib is terrible and It
looks like we need to do this twice in session-child.c?

** Branch linked: lp:~antarus/lightdm/bug1108518

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  lightdm should not rename() .xsession-errors, as it may be a symlink

Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-
  desktop/lightdm/ubuntu/view/head:/src/session-child.c#L509

  Lightdm calls rename() on the xsession-errors file. In our deployment
  many of our users have this file as a symlink. Their homedirectory is
  on NFS and it will quickly fill their quota with bogus messages.

  You should lstat() the file first. If it is a symlink, you can make a
  new file at the destination and update the link. I can supply a patch
  if you wish.

  antarus@goats5:/etc/X11/Xsession.d$ apt-cache policy lightdm
  lightdm:
    Installed: 1.2.1-0ubuntu1.1
    Candidate: 1.2.1-0ubuntu1.1
    Version table:

  DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise
  DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS"
  DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
  DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04

  -A