Hi,

Just to say that it's steel the same after an upgrade 12.04.4 > 14.04.1
:

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1810): GLib-CRITICAL **:
g_variant_new_string: assertion 'string != NULL' failed

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1810): polkit-gnome-1-WARNING **:
Failed to register client:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

Sorry if it's the wrong place to comment.

Packages, which is subscribed to policykit-1 in Ubuntu.

  pkexec does not find any authentication agent

Status in System policy:
  Confirmed
Status in “policykit-1” package in Ubuntu:

  I am using xubuntu, but I am pretty sure that other variants are
  affected too.

  My problem started with being unable to start synaptic from the menu.
  So far, I have found out that synaptic is started with pkexec.

  When I test starting
  pkexec /usr/sbin/synaptic
  in a terminal, it asks for the password in text mode.

  With another test
  pkexec --disable-internal-agent /usr/sbin/synaptic
  in the terminal, it says it has not found any authentication agent.

  I have two AMD64 PC's and a i386 laptop. The problem occurs on one of the
PC's and the laptop.
  Comparing the /etc directory trees of the PC's showed many differences, but I
could not find anything suspicious about the polycikit configuration.

  For the moment, using gksu instead of pkexec is a workaround.

  Thanks and Regards,
  Markus

  Package: policykit-1 0.104-1
  ApportVersion: 2.0-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Sun Apr  8 17:05:34 2012
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta amd64
(20120330)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=de_DE:en
   TERM=xterm