** Also affects: lightdm

** Changed in: lightdm

** No longer affects: lightdm

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  passwd and group entries are not removed on logout from a guest
  session

Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  When a guest session is finished, the guest-xxxx  entries don't get
  removed from /etc/passwd and /etc/group (at least they don't always
  get removed).   The problem is that the userdel command in the
  /usr/sbin/guest-account script fails because some of the guest
  processes are not yet dead at the time that it runs.  An earlier line
  in the script uses loginctl to tell systemd to kill the guest's
  processes, but this isn't completed by the time that userdel runs.

  The simplest fix is to just call userdel with the --force flag, so
  that it removes the password and group entries even if the processes
  are still there.  This doesn't cause any problems.  The lingering
  guest-xxxx processes are gone by the time you log in as a regular
  user.

  A trivial patch file for /usr/sbin/guest-account is attached.   Also,
  the 2008 copyright at the top of the file should really be updated!  I
  don't think that loginctl existed in 2008 (ah, the good ole days :)

  Here is the tail of some debugging output that I obtained by modifying
  /usr/sbin/guest-account so that I could see what it was going on.
  This confirms the behavior that I mentioned above.

  + GUEST_HOME=/tmp/guest-8iwujo
  + [ -x /bin/loginctl ]
  + loginctl kill-user guest-8iwujo
  + [ /tmp/guest-8iwujo = guest-8iwujo ]
  + umount /tmp/guest-8iwujo
  umount: /tmp/guest-8iwujo: target is busy
          (In some cases useful info about processes that
           use the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1).)
  + umount -l /tmp/guest-8iwujo
  + umount /tmp/guest-8iwujo
  umount: /tmp/guest-8iwujo: not mounted
  + umount -l /tmp/guest-8iwujo
  umount: /tmp/guest-8iwujo: not mounted
  + true
  + umount /tmp/guest-8iwujo
  umount: /tmp/guest-8iwujo: not mounted
  + umount -l /tmp/guest-8iwujo
  umount: /tmp/guest-8iwujo: not mounted
  + true
  + rm -rf /tmp/guest-8iwujo
  + xargs -0 rm -rf
  + find /tmp -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -uid 999 -print0
  + [ -d /run/media/guest-8iwujo ]
  + [ -d /media/guest-8iwujo ]
  + ps -lww -u guest-8iwujo
  F S   UID   PID  PPID  C PRI  NI ADDR SZ WCHAN  TTY          TIME CMD
  0 S   999  7128     1  0  80   0 - 88460 poll_s ?        00:00:00
at-spi-bus-laun
  0 R   999  7214     1  0  80   0 - 162593 -     ?        00:00:00 nm-applet
  0 R   999  7222     1  1  80   0 - 138676 -     ?        00:00:00 tilda
  + userdel guest-8iwujo
  userdel: user guest-8iwujo is currently used by process 7128