I believe you'll find that if you change your theme to Ambiance (the
default in the Ubuntu session), the Settings sidebar is tall enough to
show all items without a vertical scrollbar.

The sidebar being too short by default is
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/789372

Discussion about ordering and grouping the panels is
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/786810

Since they are really two separate issues, could you please split this
into another bug?

  Details are not visible by default and hide important configuration

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  When I open the gnome-control-center, I see the following menu items
  down the left side: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Background, Notifications,
  Search, Region & Language, Universal Access, Online Accounts, Privacy,
  Sharing, Sound, Power, Network, Devices (with a sub-menu).  Screenshot
  attached.

  If I happen to move my mouse into the menu area I _may_ notice a very
  thin "scroll area" show up briefly before it disappears again, or I
  _may_ notice very subtle dotted lines at the bottom of the menu, and I
  _may_ notice that there is actually another menu item at the bottom
  that I have to scroll down to see: Details.

  And if I happen to find that and click on that sub-menu, I will find
  critically important items in there such as Date & Time configuration
  (what I was looking for to get an AM/PM clock, and couldn't find at
  all), Users configuration (couldn't find that either so had to add
  users by hand from the CLI), and Default Applications (also important
  so I can change the default mail client etc.)

  What does "Details" even mean?  This menu might as well be named
  "Miscellaneous".  Really that would be MORE helpful: at least it would
  be clear that there's a bunch of random stuff below that menu, which
  is the reality.  The only thing in "Details" that feels appropriate to
  the name is the "About" menu.

  I really like the format change of gnome-control-center from the "rows
  of icons" to the left-side menu: it looks nice and avoiding the "go
  back and select something else" by just clicking along the left side
  is a very pleasant experience.  But the menu organization here is
  really confusing and hard to use, and needs serious attention.

  There needs to be enough top-level menus to be sure everything fits on
  the screen without scrolling.

  The About menu item should be on the top-level menu at the bottom of
  the list... people think it's not important but it's actually REALLY
  important, so inexperienced people can easily obtain critical system
  details when asking for help.

  And the grouping of these menus needs love: for example, why is "Wi-
  Fi" a separate menu item from "Network"?  I would think that Wi-Fi,
  Network, Online Accounts and Sharing could all be combined into one
  sub-menu like "Internet" or similar.  Actually I don't have a Wi-Fi
  adapter in my system so I don't know what shows up there: maybe "Wi-
  Fi" is more about the hardware, and belongs under "Devices"?  Either
  way.

  Also I think "Region & Language", "Universal Access", and possibly
  "Date & Time" could be grouped together.

  And "Background", "Privacy", and "Notifications" could be grouped
  under some sort of "desktop" menu.  Or maybe "Region & Language" would
  stay a top-level item and "Universal Access" and "Date & Time" would
  be added to "Desktop".

  Anyway.  I realize there are lots of ways to chop these items up and
  people will have disagreements, but the current situation is really
  very not good: the control center needs to avoid the need for
  scrolling to see all the options and if things are moved into sub-
  menus the names of those menus HAVE to be evocative and clear.

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.26.1-0ubuntu4
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME