Nobody that is able to even reproduce this?

  Unmounted USB drives wake up on 16.04

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  On Ubuntu 16.04, if i plug in a USB drive, then unmount it (eject
  button) in nautilus, then force it to sleep (hdparm -y), the drive
  reports to be in standby:

  hdparm -C /dev/sdd

  /dev/sdd:
   drive state is:  standby

  However, after some time during which i have not tried to access the
  drive, the drive seems to spin up again, and reports to be active
  again:

  hdparm -C /dev/sdd

  /dev/sdd:
   drive state is:  active/idle

  I have been researching on google, askubuntu, irc, but apparently
  nobody has been able to tell what is that wakes up the drive.
  Everybody say that if the drive is unmounted, it should stay sleeping.

  Note: I also tried to add the drive partitions in fstab, so to force gvfs to
ignore the drive.
  Even this failed to keep the drive sleeping.

  I have not been able to test this on 14.04 yet, but 14.04 successfully
  keeps internal SATA drives asleep even when mounted unless i
  explicitly access them.

  One additional question i would have, at this point, is also whether there is
some tool to check what process tries to access the device.
  Or some sort of tcpdump for SATA..