Another related fubar.

If I create a terminal by right-clicking on the background then middle-click on
the title bar puts the window to the bottom of the stack (as is configured
somewhere).
If I create one with CTL+ALT+T then the middle-click is ignored.

Don't seem to be able to select the historic (back to sunview days?)
'raise if partially covered, back otherwise' action though.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-terminal in Ubuntu.

  Extending a gnome terminal window to the right increases its height

Status in gnome-terminal package in Ubuntu:

  I've just installed Ubuntu 17.10.

  If I 'grab' the right border of a gnome terminal window in order to resize it
(to unwrap long lines) the height of the window changes as well.
  This is not desirable.