Alright. I understand why software wouldn't support such combos by
default. Because both keys are modifiers and not normal keys.

That said, with more work it is usually possible to make software
respond to modifier taps, as we have done in Unity before.

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

  Can't set Ctrl+Shift as a shortcut

  Can't set Ctrl+Shift (and many other key combinations) as a shortcut
  in new and shiny Ubuntu 17.10. Nothing happens when I press these
  keys. For example, when setting "Switch to next input source"
  shortcut, a window pops up waiting for a key combination, but nothing
  happens at all when I press Ctrl+Shift. I can still set some
  combinations like Super+Space, though.

  Package: gnome-shell-extension-shortcuts (not installed)
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME