Since this is a Gnome design feature, but understandably annoying for
users coming from other environments, I think the right resolution is
"Won't Fix".

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

  Alt+Tab doesn't work for same application with multiple windows

  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  I open 2 File manager windows and also have other windows open. From
  the side dock, I can switch between the 2 File manager windows. But
  Alt+Tab doesn't swap back and forth like expected, it picks some other
  open application and brings that to the front.

  Tested this with Gnome Terminal and get the same result. Have open 2
  terminals and a Firefox browser. I'd think Alt+Tab would switch
  between them if they were both the current and last used window, but
  no, Firefox comes to the front.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.26.0-0ubuntu1
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME