AFAIK, the lower bound is machine-dependent. Same software, different
hardware, different lower bound. Some machines can achieve full
blackness already, and others can't. It's always been this way...

So that also suggests this is a kernel issue. If you want it changed for
your particular machine type then a kernel change would probably be
necessary.

  Able to set brightness to zero

Status in GNOME Settings Daemon:

  Using the slider in the status menu I'm able to set the brightness of
  my display to zero. Then the screen is completely black and not
  possible to find the slider again.