Jeff, we need improvement on the response times of the OpenPrinting web
server. They are also rather long for requests via the web query API
(query.php, which is used by the printer setup tools for finding drivers
to download automatically). Before the security breach at the Linux
Foundation the OpenPrinting web server was much faster.

** Changed in: system-config-printer (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: jockey (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to jockey in Ubuntu.

  Add printer takes too long (users cancel before completing)

Status in Ayatana Design:
  New
Status in “jockey” package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in “system-config-printer” package in Ubuntu:

  Watching a new user install a Network printer takes too long.  A
  progress bar is shown, and continues to beat back and forth, but the
  operation takes so long that the user ends up cancelling the process.

  One month early I watched another user do precisely the same
  cancellation at the same point while adding the same network printer
  on the same network.

  Ideally the progress could be changed from a bouncing bar, to a
  progressing bar.  This would give a sense of competition, that is
  lacking in the bouncing bar.

  It would probably even be tolerable to have a completion bar that
  times at the end.  This would replace an unknown with a known.