Public bug reported:

Shortly after upgrading to focal (a few days) I left my computer alone
and went and away for a good long while, long enough for the screen to
lock

Came back and
1) the screen was not locked,
2) the dock at the right hand side was still available and i could manipulate
it (ie click on the applications that were running, see the screenshots of them
when i mouse'd over them)
2) no windows could be seen.

I managed to for example click on the running bitcoin icon in the top right
hand corner, those were clickable too, but nothing did seemed to get the
windows back.
Alt-tab...
alt-crl up...
super-tab...
nothing i could think of

Wound up exiting out to terminal (ctrl-alt-f3, logging in) killing
gnome-shell and they all came back shortly there after.

ubuntu: focal 20.04 lts
gnome-shell:
  Installed: 3.36.1-5ubuntu1
  Candidate: 3.36.1-5ubuntu1
  Version table:
 *** 3.36.1-5ubuntu1 500
        500 http://mirrors.layeronline.com/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Package: gnome-shell 3.36.1-5ubuntu1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.4.0-26.30-lowlatency 5.4.30
Uname: Linux 5.4.0-26-lowlatency x86_64
CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
Date: Sat May  2 03:16:38 2020
DisplayManager: gdm3
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 17.04 "Zesty Zapus" - Release amd64 (20170412)
RelatedPackageVersions: mutter-common 3.36.1-3ubuntu3
SourcePackage: gnome-shell
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to focal on 2020-04-25 (6 days ago)

** Affects: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug focal third-party-packages

  windows invisible when there should have been a lock screen