One way to integrate a "don't remember the last used folder" preference
into the UI would be to have a checkbox labelled something like "Use
this folder next time"; checked by default; located in the bookmark
editor (the one that pops up from the bookmark creation star icon).

I think this would have to be accompanied by a change of behaviour, so
that the folder is considered to be "used" if it gets selected in the
editor UI, rather than waiting for a bookmark to be saved into it.
Otherwise it could get rather confusing.

Then, if the checkbox is unchecked, the next time the editor shows, it
defaults to a specific location (e.g. Other Bookmarks) and the box
remains unchecked until manually checked again.

This was not an immediately obvious idea to me, so I thought I'd put on
the table in case this preference gets implemented. There may very well
be better ways, of course.

  Ability to set default save destination for new bookmarks

Status in Mozilla Firefox:
  Confirmed
Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  Though I can understand the rationale for making all new bookmarks go
  into an "Unsorted Bookmarks" area, I think that it would be good if
  Firefox provided an option to allow the user to change the default
  save location for new bookmarks, because I for one don't want to have
  to move every new bookmark I make to the "Bookmarks Toolbar", I would
  like to be able to have them just go there automatically, but I can't
  currently so it would be good if there were an option to change the
  default save location of bookmarks.