I think I should reinstall Hirsute. Takes less than 30 minutes.

On 28.04.2021 23:16, Katjana Edwardsen wrote:
> Nope. I delete the files, ran gnome-control-center, rebooted and...
>
> VLT-WX0:/var/crash$ ls -l
>
> total 0
>

> On 28.04.2021 22:57, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
>> Try cleaning /var/crash and it should generate a new one

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-desktop3 in Ubuntu.

  XKB layout variants not shown in the menu of respective language but
  under Others

Status in gnome-control-center:
  Unknown
Status in gnome-desktop:
  Unknown
Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in gnome-desktop3 package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in gnome-desktop3 source package in Hirsute:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  [Impact]

  The GUI in gnome-control-center for adding input sources is broken.
  The XKB layout variants should be visible in the menu of respective
  language, but instead they are all shown under "Others".

  The issue has a potential to cause confusion for a lot of users.

  [Test Plan]

  1. Open Settings -> Region & Language and press the + button
     to open the window for adding input sources.

  2. Click "English (United States)".

  -> Find far fewer options than expected

  3. Install the gnome-desktop3 binaries from hirsute-proposed and
     relogin (or possibly reboot).

  4. Repeat 1. and 2.

  -> Find the expected input source options

  [Where problems could occur]

  The fix is a cherry picked oneliner which was committed upstream on
  February 16 in order to address this issue. Very hard to see how it
  would affect anything else adversely.

  [Original description]

  Ubuntu 21-04 installed from scratch (on dual-boot) a few days before
  stable release.

  To be able to switch to a language that requires a keyboard different
  than my own, I used the GUI's "language and region" settings > "manage
  installed languages" > install/remove languages. I found "Russian" and
  it was added. Next i pressed the + sign. Selecting "Russian (Russian
  Federation)" yielded 2 keyboards: "Russian", "Russian (Polyglot and
  Reactionary)".

  Neither keyboard was "phonetic". The phonetic keyboard has been with
  the standard Ubuntu installs for at least ten years.

  According to Gunnar Hjalmarsson "Ubuntu 21.04 is shipped with the same
  version of the xkb-data package as in 20.04 and 20.10, so nothing has
  changed. And multiple variants are available, including the one named
  Russian (phonetic)." So this should be fairly easy to fix, no?

  I find that the language settings are a little too complicated for me
  to tamper with on the terminal, but I am including the information I
  was able to collect:

  ~$ locale -a
  C.UTF-8
  en_AG
  en_AG.utf8
  nb_NO.utf8
  POSIX
  ru_RU.utf8
  ru_UA.utf8

  $ setxkbmap -print -verbose
  Trying to build keymap using the following components:
  keycodes:   evdev+aliases(qwerty)
  types:      complete
  compat:     complete
  symbols:    pc+us+inet(evdev)
  geometry:   pc(pc105)
  xkb_keymap {
   xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)"      };
   xkb_types     { include "complete"   };
   xkb_compat    { include "complete"   };
   xkb_symbols   { include "pc+us+inet(evdev)"  };
   xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"  };
  };

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.38.5-1ubuntu1
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME