I use the wayland session. I have recorded a short screencast of
reproducing the issue. I went gnome settings > power > screen blank > 1
minute to speed it up.

The screencast has journalctl -f running, and there is no output.
Interestingly, after enough clicks it seemed to start working again.

Screencast fades to black at 1:13, then I move the mouse and start
clicking on icons.

** Attachment added: "Video of reproduction"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/1964545/+attachment/5569432/+files/Screencast%20from%2016-03-22%2015%3A45%3A51.webm

  42beta: moving mouse as screen is fading to screensaver prevents input
  to shell

Status in gnome-shell source package in Jammy:

  [Impact]

  If you move the mouse as the system fades into black for the
  screensaver, the screensaver will be prevented as normal, but the user
  will not be able to interact with the shell.

  Mouse clicks are ignored, and most key presses are ignored too.

  Workaround is to press super to enter shell overview, then super again
  to close, and mouse clicks will begin working again.

  gnome-shell 42~beta-1ubuntu2 from -proposed.

  [Testcase]

  1) Leave your system idle, until the screen starts fading to black
  2) As the screen is fading to black, move the mouse to prevent screensaver.
  3) Attempt to click any window or type something