I just notice the search icon to the top left of the title bar.

No, No and No.

The search should be front and centre not in the title bar.

FYI my actually close icon is on the right-hand side. I can't remember
if this is standard gnome or not.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  software centre search is non-obvious

Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:

  Every time I go to install software from the software centre I find
  the interface less than intuitive.

  I'm expecting the home page to have a search button.

  Instead, it has a spotify banner, a set of editors' picks and a list
  of categories.

  This is all great and all but I know the name of the software, I just
  want to search for it.

  Please add a large obvious search bar between the spotify ad and the
  list of editors' picks.

  lsb_release -rd
  Release:      21.10