Thanks for the bug report. Next time a freeze happens please:

1. Wait 10 seconds.

2. Reboot.

3. Run:

   journalctl -b-1 > prevboot.txt
   lspci -k > lspci.txt

4. Attach the resulting text files here.

5. Run:

   apport-collect 1965116

6. Look in /var/crash for crash files and if found run:

   ubuntu-bug YOURFILE.crash

   Then tell us the ID of the newly-created bug.

7. If step 6 failed then look at https://errors.ubuntu.com/user/ID where
ID is the content of file /var/lib/whoopsie/whoopsie-id on the machine.
Do you find any links to recent problems on that page? If so then please
send the links to us.

** Summary changed:

- Desktop lockup with because Wayland compositor not fast enough
+ Desktop lockup

** Package changed: wayland (Ubuntu) => gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to wayland in Ubuntu.

  Desktop lockup

  I use Ubuntu 21.10 with Wayland and nvidia drivers. Sometimes, when
  working, the desktop freezes.

  Over ssh, I can see in the system logs many of those messages:

  > gnome-shell[5615]: Key repeat discarded, Wayland compositor doesn't
  seem to be processing events fast enough!

  dmesg doesn't show any problems.

  Xwayland has a very high CPU usage. Killing Xwayland didn't help.

  When I then restart gdm, logging in either works again, or at least
  gdm allows a graceful reboot.