This is fixed in gnome-control-center 44 Alpha.

** Changed in: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

** Bug watch added: gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/-/issues #2277
   https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/-/issues/2277

** Also affects: gnome-control-center via
   https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/-/issues/2277

** Tags added: focal jammy kinetic

  Switching alert sound will not take effect unless you switch to
  Default alert first

Status in gnome-control-center:
  Fix Released
Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  I installed April 5th's nightly build, of Ubuntu Focal Fossa (development
branch).
  Release:      20.04

  The issue is,

  Whichever the notification sound we choose after default, only that
  sound will take effect. Directly changing to another type of alert
  sound will not take effect.

  To reproduce the problem,

  1. Open terminal,
  2. Open sound settings, initially it will be "default". Change that to some
other alert sound, say, "Drip".
  3. Switch to terminal and press backspace, you will hear "Drip".
  4. Switch to sound settings, this time select "Glass".
  5. Switch to terminal and press backspace, here is the issue. You will not
hear "Glass". You will still hear "Drip".
  6. Switch to sound settings, now select default first and then select "Glass".
  7. Switch to terminal and press backspace, now you will hear "Glass".

  So to summarize, if you want to change the alert sound, first you have to
switch back to "Default" and then only whichever other alert sound you select,
will take effect.
  Since the release time is near, I thought it would be helpful to fix this
before release.

  Thank you.