On 2023-03-14 09:09, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> So, you are saying that with this version I don't need the file
> /etc/profile.d/input-method-config.sh and can simply remove it?

No. I said that you can do that if you are on an Ubuntu version > 20.04.
Given the version you actually are on, instead I would suggest that you
reinstall im-config:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall im-config

That's because the error message indicates that the installation of im-
config is not complete. Maybe you tried to partly uninstall it.

"E: Script for none not found at run_im."

Well, "script for none" should be there:

$ ls -1 /usr/share/im-config/data | grep none
78_none.conf
78_none.rc

and a reinstall ought to restore those files.

Or you can keep your return at the top of the file. That won't hurt if
you don't use any input method.

> The im-config package could not be removed without removing
> gnome-control-center

That's true, and the reason is that language-selector-gnome depends on
im-config. I should probably relax that to a recommends.

> except the strange fact that this file was not removed when im-config
> was updated during the normal "sudo apt update" procedure at some point

Not strange at all, actually, since you are on bionic.

Packages, which is subscribed to im-config in Ubuntu.

  im-config configuration ignored with gdm3

Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in im-config package in Ubuntu:

  After having logged in via gdm3, the IM related environment variables
  are always set like this:

  $ env | grep -E '_IM|XMOD'
  QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
  XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus

  Changing ~/.xinputrc to e.g. xim makes no difference, so gdm3 prevents
  all other IM frameworks but IBus from working.

  This problem seems to be similar to bug #1594681 (which was fixed).