** Tags added: focal jammy kinetic lunar

  Allow configuring Wi-Fi MAC Randomization feature from GUI

Status in gnome-control-center:
  Confirmed
Status in NetworkManager:
  Confirmed
Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  Recent versions of NetworkManager have a feature enabled by default to
  use a random MAC address when scanning for available Wi-Fi networks
  for privacy. My understanding is that the spoofed MAC address is not
  used when actually connecting to a network.

  This feature was disabled in Ubuntu 17.10 because it broke scanning
  with some Wi-Fi drivers. My understanding is that there is a bug in
  some drivers when attempting to change the MAC address. See LP:
  #1681513.

  The bug might not be as big of an issue with the latest version of
NetworkManager because
  1) There are helpful commits like this (it was not backported to 17.04):
  https://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/commit/?id=46d53e1
  2) It is also possible now to selectively disable Wi-Fi MAC Randomization for
specific drivers.
  https://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/commit/?id=b869d9

  However, I'm really hesitant to re-enable this feature as long as
  A) we don't know for sure which drivers are affected,
  B) and more importantly, there is no GUI way to turn the feature on or off.
Asking users to edit config files isn't very nice.

  The MAC Address Randomization feature is really nice (Windows 10 has a
  similar feature) but I think we need a GUI on/off switch in Settings >
  Wi-Fi or Settings > Privacy.