Hmm... unfortunately upgrading (both gnome-shell and mutter) to 44.1 did
not fix the main annoying bug for me where clicking titlebar doesn't
raise the window anymore (on X at least) - #2013216.

Also hitting the weird black bar issue that I didn't see under 44.0
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/merge_requests/5857
so I am going to revert to 44.0 and this should probably wait until that is
fixed (I think it might require a new GTK to be released too?)

  Update gnome-shell to 44.1

Status in gnome-shell source package in Lunar:
  Fix Committed
Status in gnome-shell source package in Mantic:

  Impact
  ------
  There is a new bugfix release in the stable 44 series.

  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/blob/44.1/NEWS

  It is also believed to fix at least one crash issue reported as LP:
  #2016007 but without a clear test case, that bug is not included in
  this SRU verification.

  Test Case
  ---------
  Complete all the test cases at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/TestPlans/GNOMEShell

  Other Info
  ----------
  gnome-shell provides the GNOME version number for the Settings app About
page, as of Ubuntu 22.10 (in earlier Ubuntu releases, this was provided by
gnome-desktop/gnome-desktop3)

  This update requires mutter 44.1 (LP: #2020225). This was done with
  bumped dependencies in debian/control. gnome-shell 44.1 could be run
  with mutter 44.1 but it led to build test failures. Also, mixing
  different versions of mutter & gnome-shell is not supported upstream.

  What Could Go Wrong
  GNOME Shell is the heart of the Ubuntu desktop experience.

  A severe enough bug could mean that people are unable to use their
  desktop version of Ubuntu.

  Smaller bugs could interrupt people's workflows.

  GNOME Shell is included in the GNOME micro release exception

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates/GNOME