It looks like the gnome bug does acknowledge it only works for 'click'
mode (I use sloppy) so presumably when that gets fixed (and it looks
like they're still thinking about it!) and released then both mine and
yours will too.

Packages, which is subscribed to mutter in Ubuntu.

  When focus-mode=mouse is set, gnome-shell gets into state where
  clicking on window title bars doesn't raise them

Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:

  After the most recent Lunar updates (i.e., with the newest GNOME) my
  gnome-shell got into a state where clicking on the title bar of a
  window wouldn't raise the window (or do anything else), while clicking
  inside the window raised it as expected. The problem went away after I
  rebooted. I think this may have occurred after some other aberrant
  behavior, specifically the shell hanging for about 30 seconds (I will
  file a separate bug about that), so it's possible that things were in
  some sort of broken state because of that and this bug isn't actually
  specifically about the title bar, but I thought I should file a bug
  report about it just in case it's something other people start seeing
  so we can see how frequently it's happening.

  Package: gnome-shell 44~beta-1ubuntu1
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Fri Mar 10 16:16:22 2023
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.04 "Disco Dingo" - Release amd64 (20190416)
  RelatedPackageVersions: mutter-common 44~beta-3ubuntu2
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to lunar on 2022-11-24 (106 days ago)