I am almost 100% certain GNOME requires gdm3 as the display manager to
operate and cannot operate using lightdm anymore. Did you attempt to
launch the GNOME session (gnome-shell) using gdm3 as the display manager
as opposed to sddm or lightdm?

** Changed in: gnome-session (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-session in Ubuntu.

  gnome-session crash on Kubuntu 23.10

Status in gnome-session package in Ubuntu:

  I had been at the Issue section of Canonical's github for ubuntu-
  desktop-installer's issue section and felt compelled to answer some
  user's questions about their problems. (Long story that I won't dwell
  on)

  * There was an interesting trend there with Kubuntu user issues. One
  Kubuntu user mentioned something that sparked my interest... It was
  enough to prompt me to download the latest ISO image for it to
  investigate on my own.

  Here is the repeatable steps to recreate it:

  Create a VM (VM#1)
  Install Kubuntu.
  Reboot
  Apply updates
  Reboot
  Install gnome-session, LightDm
  Reboot
  Do some tests (T1-a)
  Install ubuntu-desktop...
  Do more tests (T1-b)

  Create another VM (VM#2)
  Install UbI had been at the Issue section of Canonical's github for
ubuntu-desktop-installer's issue section and felt compelled to answer some
user's questions about their problems. (Long story that I won't dwell on)

  * There was an interesting trend there with Kubuntu user issues. One
  Kubuntu user mentioned something that sparked my interest... It was
  enough to prompt me to download the latest ISO image for it to
  investigate on my own.

  Here is the repeatable steps to recreate it:

  Create a VM (VM#1)
  Install Kubuntu.
  Reboot
  Apply updates
  Reboot
  Install gnome-session, LightDm
  Reboot
  Do some tests (T1-a)
  Install ubuntu-desktop...
  Do more tests (T1-b)

  Create another VM (VM#2)
  Install Ubuntu
  Reboot
  Apply updates
  Reboot
  Install gnome-sessions & LightDM
  Reboot
  Do some tests (T2-a)
  Install kubuntu-desktop
  Do more tests (T2-b)

  Should basically be the same right? Basically the same packages. Just
  a difference in the order they were installed, and the image they were
  installed from..

  VM#1 crashes on gnome-session (will manually upload crash report, as
  apport failed while submitting)

  Test was just to log out and select a session type from LightDM, so
  see if it went to a desktop. If it locked up, I toggled over to vtty4
  to issue: 'sudo killall lightdm' , to get back to the graphical login

  In test T1-a, logged out, the only Gnome mode that would go to a
  desktop without locking up the machine was Gnome on Wayland. Standard
  Name of "Gnome" is repeated/duplicated, even though there is only one
  desktop file for it in /usr/share/xsessions... There seems to be
  another

  But there is another gnome.desktop file somewhere, as I could edit the
  Name in that file to isolate if there was actually 2 files in the
  search path. At this time, both options of "GNOME" failed, and GNOME
  on xorg failed.

  * The GNOME desktop file that is located elsewhere is in
  /usr/share/wayland-sessions/...

  In test T1-b, only the .desktop file located in /usr/share/xsessions
  does not work... The duplicated GNOME entry located at
  /usr/share/wayland-sessions/gnome.desktop works. Just installing
  ubuntu-desktop corrected a lot of problems that gnome-session had,
  when installed without that, but some issues with gnome-session
  remain.

  Test T2-1 & T2-b, all sessions worked.

  Crash report is from after Test T1-b, in a Gnome session.

  Package: gnome-session 45.0-1ubuntu1
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME
  Date: Thu Oct 26 10:15:38 2023
  InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 23.10 "Mantic Minotaur" - Release amd64 (20231010)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: gnome-session