See also:

* [libEGL "failed to create dri2 screen" and
coredump](https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/glvnd/libglvnd/-/issues/246)

The EGL tool: eglinfo, coredump-s under several conditions, eg:

$ eglinfo -B
GBM platform:
EGL API version: 1.5
EGL vendor string: NVIDIA
EGL version string: 1.5
EGL client APIs: OpenGL_ES OpenGL
OpenGL core profile vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL core profile renderer: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 535.129.03
OpenGL core profile shading language version: 4.60 NVIDIA
OpenGL compatibility profile vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL compatibility profile renderer: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL compatibility profile version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 535.129.03
OpenGL compatibility profile shading language version: 4.60 NVIDIA
OpenGL ES profile vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL ES profile renderer: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL ES profile version: OpenGL ES 3.2 NVIDIA 535.129.03
OpenGL ES profile shading language version: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
corrupted size vs. prev_size
Aborted (core dumped)

** Tags added: regression

** Bug watch added: gitlab.freedesktop.org/glvnd/libglvnd/-/issues #246
   https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/glvnd/libglvnd/-/issues/246

Packages, which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  libEGL Crashes and locks applications

Status in mesa package in Ubuntu:

  I am getting this error or something very similar quite regularly
  since befor 25 December 2023.

  ERROR:

  $ flatpak run org.wezfurlong.wezterm
  libEGL warning: egl: failed to create dri2 screen
  MESA: error: CreateSwapchainKHR failed with VK_ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED
  MESA: error: zink: could not create swapchain

  I have pasted this error output from the console, because it is the most
informative version I've seen so far.

  The first time I saw this problem, I mistakenly thought it was an
  issue with a Rust library I was using, details are available here:

  * [egl: failed to create dri2 screen
  #355](https://github.com/amethyst/bracket-lib/issues/355)

  When I posted that bug, I thought there was something to do witih the
  moust -- No.  Lots of things crash (or hang) with no activity on my
  part.  The only common denominator seems to be using the OpenGL or
  something in Mesa.

  I am happy to turn-on a log or diagnostics and send someone the
  output.  I do not feel equiped to figure things out as the end user.
  I peeked at the syslog file but nothing there seemed to relate to the
  message I'm seeing.

  * So if theres some diagnostic I can do, let me know.

  EXPECTED

  * Not to get the crash/error from libEGL
  * Top level user applications run with no issues
  * Perhaps there is a way to turn-off the libEGL so this problem can be
side-stepped until such time there is a working solution????

  ~~~~~

  I am running Kubuntu 23.10 using Wayland.  NVIDIA graphics:

  Graphics:
    Device-1: NVIDIA TU104 [GeForce RTX 2080 Rev. A] vendor: Gigabyte
      driver: nvidia v: 535.129.03 arch: Turing bus-ID: 07:00.0
    Display: wayland server: X.org v: 1.21.1.7 with: Xwayland v: 23.2.0
      compositor: kwin_wayland driver: X: loaded: nvidia
      unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa gpu: nvidia resolution:
      1: 1920x1080 2: 1920x1080
    API: OpenGL v: 4.5 Mesa 23.2.1-1ubuntu3.1 renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 15.0.7
      256 bits) direct-render: Yes

  System information:

  System:
    Kernel: 6.5.0-14-generic arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A
      Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.27.8 Distro: Ubuntu 23.10 (Mantic Minotaur)

  Release:

   $ lsb_release -a:

  Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
  Release:      23.10