That's odd because 3440x1440 actually has lower bandwidth requirements
(fewer pixels) than 3840x2160. Still, to go above 60Hz you will need
both your HDMI cable and your graphics card to be capable of HDMI 2.1,
not just 2.0.

Please tell us the model of graphics card you are using. If you're just
using the integrated graphics of the Intel i7--1255U chip then I'm not
sure that can do it with HDMI. DisplayPort looks more certain to work
(you may need a USB-C to DisplayPort cable for that).

Please also run this so we can see the modes that the kernel driver
believes are possible:

  sudo apt install drm-info
  drm_info > drminfo.txt

and attach the resulting text file here.

** Changed in: mutter (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to mutter in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu Wayland does not support 21:9 monitor

Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:

  My second monitor attached to HDMI of my Lenovo V15 is  DELL S3422DWG and has
aspect 21:9 with resolution 3440x1440, with supported resfresh at 100Hz.
  I could not set native resolution on my second HDMI DELL S3422DWG in any way.
  I tried cvt, modeset, passing boot parameters to grub, porting EDID from
Windows 10 to custom EDID with grub parameters.

  Every one move ended up with 4k resolution 3840x2160(16:9).

  And I saw a lot of similar reports on unresolved 21:9 issue on reddit,
stackoverflow etc.
  Kind regards.
  ---
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 23.10.1 "Mantic Minotaur" - Release amd64
(20231016.1)
  Package: mutter 45.2-0ubuntu1
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   SHELL=/bin/bash
   TERM=xterm-256color
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
  Tags: mantic wayland-session
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sudo users
  _MarkForUpload: True