Thanks for your help. I think I understand it now in that I've got all
the colours I want for my profiles.

I do think that the Help for gnome-terminal might possibly be a bit
clearer.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-terminal in Ubuntu.

  Prefences does not work properly on new profiles

Status in gnome-terminal package in Ubuntu:

  After creating a new profile, "preferences" does not work correctly. I
  want to have a selection of profiles as I log in to a variety of
  systems and want the background colours to quickly distinguish as to
  which host server a given terminal is connected to.

  For example I have an entry on my desktop "Window to UH" which
  invokes:

  Exec=gnome-terminal --profile=UH -e 'ssh -X -l jcollins -e none
  star.herts.ac.uk'

  I want UH profile to hack a background of light blue and use a
  distinctive font and size.

  However after creating the profile and setting about changing the font
  and colours, I find that the font selection is greyed out and attempts
  to change the colour selections fail.

  I can work around this by using "dconf-editor", working through to the
  profile and changing the font and colours "by hand" but this is
  unwieldy.

  There would seem to be a bug in the preferences menu entry introduced
  between 20.10 and 22.04.

  Package: gnome-terminal 3.44.0-1ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 6.5.0-14.14~22.04.1-generic 6.5.3
  Uname: Linux 6.5.0-14-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82.5
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Tue Jan 23 12:40:19 2024
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" - Release amd64
(20230807.2)
  SourcePackage: gnome-terminal