Looks like the system is busy with Firefox, Thunderbird and Logseq using
the most CPU.

I wouldn't consider this a bug unless you still have problems when none
of those are running.

** Package changed: gnome-shell (Ubuntu) => ubuntu

  CPU usage too high. System either stops for a minute or greatly lags

Status in Ubuntu:

  CPU usage for gnome-shell skyrockets 25% to over 125%. System stops
  for a minute or longer. Other times everything lags and stutters.

  1. Does not matter if I use X.org or Nvidia (470 tested release for my GT720
card with two monitors).
  2. Turning Gnome Extensions on and off doesn't help.
  3. Using Ubuntu 23.10.Updated regularly.
  4. This issue started about 7 months ago.

  I expect the halts and stutters to go away. Nothing has helped so far.
  I mostly use Firefox 123.0.1, logseq 0.10.7, US Gov weather, Nautilus,
LibreOffice Writer, Thunderbird Email, gedit and text editor (gnome) and VS
Code + Rust 1.76. Doesn't matter on using or not using any of these apps. I
usually have 4-5 workspaces over my two monitors.

  Kindly advise. Glad to help if I can. What else would you like to
  know?

  Thanks,

  Ken Wagner

  AME="Ubuntu"         (Gnome-shell 45.2)
  VERSION_ID="23.10"
  VERSION="23.10 (Mantic Minotaur)"
  VERSION_CODENAME=mantic
  ID=ubuntu
  ID_LIKE=debian
  HOME_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/";
  SUPPORT_URL="https://help.ubuntu.com/";
  BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/";

PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-policy";
  UBUNTU_CODENAME=mantic
  LOGO=ubuntu-logo

  Package: gnome-shell 45.2-0ubuntu1
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sat Mar 16 14:52:54 2024
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu Legacy 23.10 "Mantic Minotaur" - Release amd64
(20231010)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   SHELL=/bin/bash
   TERM=xterm-256color
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
  RelatedPackageVersions: mutter-common 45.2-0ubuntu3
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell