MIR Team approval to replace freerdp2 with freerdp3 in main.
Both stay in the archive, only one will be released with noble being in main.

This comes with the discussed requirement of giving this chance a try to add at
least some QA.
Right now tests are disabled at build and no autopkgtest is present.

Jbicha said tests are fine but time is scarce.
But Seb was so kind to agree to spend efforts of the Team to add tests before
Noble is released.

To unblock things we approve "now" (to get things moved before beta
freeze), but want to hold you accountable to get the tests in place.

** Summary changed:

- FFe: freedp2 -> freerdp3 in main
+ FFe: [MIR] freedp2 -> freerdp3 in main

Packages, which is subscribed to remmina in Ubuntu.

  FFe: [MIR] freedp2 -> freerdp3 in main

Status in gnome-remote-desktop package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in remmina package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  Feature Freeze Exception Request
  --------------
  There are only 2 packages in Ubuntu main that use freerdp2: remmina and
gnome-remote-desktop. It is requested to switch both to freerdp3. Therefore
only one version of freerdp will be in main. freerdp2 will be demoted to
universe since many universe packages use it and are not prepared to switch to
freerdp3.

  This also requests updating gnome-control-center to fully enable the
  features of gnome-remote-desktop 46.

  Impact
  ------
  A headline feature of GNOME 46 is support as a Remote Desktop server without
requiring someone to already be logged in locally ("headless" mode). This
feature requires gnome-remote-desktop 46. gnome-remote-desktop 46 requires
freerdp3.

  Impact if this does not happen
  ------------------------------
  - We would need to patch gnome-control-center to use the older Remote Desktop
panel (or at least hide the new tab for Remote Login)
  - We would need to keep using gnome-remote-desktop 45 instead of 46. The
gnome-remote-desktop upstream maintainers would be unhappy with this decision.
gnome-remote-desktop 45 was tested against Mutter 45. Changes in Mutter 46 may
require changes in gnome-remote-desktop for things to work well although a
simple test showed that basic remote desktop seems to work ok with the
mismatch. (See comment #1 from upstream developer.)

  Why this did not land sooner
  ---------------------------
  It required the packaging of a new source package freerdp3. And we had to do
this sooner than Debian. Sorry too many things to do before Feature Freeze and
this did not make it.

  Affected Packages
  -----------------
  - gnome-remote-desktop 45 -> 46
  - gnome-control-center (to update the Remote Desktop settings page)
  - remmina 1.4.34 -> 1.4.35 and swap build-depends. Remmina 1.4.34 did not
work  with freerdp 3.3 in my testing
  - gnome-connections (build-dependency swap): Not required by other changes
and not in Main but makes sense to switch it also

  Affected Flavors
  ----------------
  Only Ubuntu Desktop and Edubuntu ships gdm3, gnome-control-center,
gnome-remote-desktop. (Cinnamon 23.04 and daily 23.10 also ships
gnome-control-center but this appears to be a bug since they ship
cinnamon-control-center and is likely already fixed in noble-proposed)

  Remmina is included in Ubuntu Desktop, Cinnamon, Kylin, and Unity.

  gnome-connections has no reverse dependencies or recommends.

  Upstream Changes
  ----------------
  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-remote-desktop/-/blob/46.rc/NEWS

  https://gitlab.com/Remmina/Remmina/-/blob/rel/v1.4.35/CHANGELOG.md

  gnome-control-center 46~beta was already in Ubuntu 24.04 LTS before Feature
Freeze. It will be updated to 46.0. The relevant part here is whether we use
the 46~beta version of the Remote Desktop page or the 46.0 version.
  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/-/blob/46.rc/NEWS

  Build Logs
  ----------
  I have backported GNOME Shell 46 RC and GTK4 4.13 to the Ubuntu Desktop PPA.
The PPA currently has noble-proposed disabled so that it is easily possible to
try this set of packages without dealing with the incomplete 32-bit time
transition in noble-proposed. In addition, the PPA has the affected packages
from this FFe.

  https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages

  Testing Done
  -------
  1. From Ubuntu 23.10 client using Remmina, I was successfully able to connect
to Ubuntu 24.04 LTS host using GNOME Shell 46 RC and GNOME Remote Desktop 46
RC. Remote control worked.

  2. From Ubuntu 24.04 LTS client with Remmina 1.4.35 built with
  freerdp3, I was able to connect to Ubuntu 23.10 host. Remote control
  worked.

  3. From Ubuntu 24.04 LTS client with GNOME Connections 46 RC built
  with freerdp3, I was able to connect to Ubuntu 23.10 host. Remote
  control worked.

  4. I added a new Remote Login test case to
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/TestPlans/RemoteDesktop and
  verified that remote login worked. Notably, enabling this changes the
  port for the older service, now called "Desktop Sharing" to 3390.
  Since 3389 is the default port, users would then need to manually
  specific port 3390 for Desktop Sharing in their remote connection app
  (Remmina, GNOME Connections, etc.).