Doesn't `right-click on message > forward as > inline` exactly what is
requested in this bug ?

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  enhance thunderbird to include option to forward original msg in reply

Status in Mozilla Thunderbird:
  In Progress
Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: mozilla-thunderbird

  In my business environment, TOFU is the norm. (Most people use
  Outlook.) Everyone's used to seeing the format that tb presently
  provides when I forward messages. So I am always opening the message
  twice. First I click forward, then I copy the next, then I close that
  window, then I click reply, then I paste the forwarded text, then I
  start my reply at the top of the message. I do it this way so the To:
  field is filled out for the reply and so the message is tagged as
  replied, not forwarded.

  I am requesting that tb be enhanced to provide an additional option
  for reply style, which is "reply by forwarding inline."

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386