The screenshot attached - there are two dialogs because I have both the
gmail and the Google Apps account enabled.

** Attachment added: "evolution-cant-recover2.png"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/empathy/+bug/969858/+attachment/3007476/+files/evolution-cant-recover2.png

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  Empathy reports that Google Talk's certificate is self-signed

Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:

  When re-connecting to Google Talk, empathy reports that the Google
  Talk certificate is self-signed. Surprisingly this doesn't happen when
  you first set up the connection.

  Also - if I check "Remember this choice" and click "Continue", this
  dialog will still come up the next time I go online.

  Package: empathy 3.4.0-0ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.0-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Sat Mar 31 11:14:59 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Beta amd64 (20110921.2)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: empathy
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-02-17 (42 days ago)