I do think it is related. Don't want to be a wiseguy about it, but it
still is not working as it should do if .Xmodmap settings are in place
for natural scrolling. So why should it not be related? thanks for your
reaction though!

  nautilus not natural scrolling

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  I came to the conclusion after updates of ubuntu 12.04 on march the
  9th, nautilus did not handle natural scrolling anymore, while in
  Chrome or Firefox or even any other application it still does. I
  enabled this feature in gnome-tweak and all works fine, except in
  nautilus.