On Friday 2016-05-13 13:10 -0700, Andrew McCreight wrote:
> On 64-bit systems, pointers take 8 bytes of memory instead of 4. A lot of
> the contents of memory is pointers. Thus a 64-bit build consumes more
> memory for a given workload. It isn't as bad as, say, twice as much memory,
> but it is enough that if you are close to the limits of your system it
> could cause problems.

On the flip side, it does make sense that the point where 64-bit
builds become better memory-wise than 32-bit builds could be
substantially below 4GB of RAM, given that 32-bit builds can run out
of memory due to fragmentation of the address space.  Where the
tradeoff lies is probably best determined by experiment.

(There are also presumably some security improvements with 64-bit.)

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.