Folks,

I'm contemplating adding CommonJS Modules implementation to Rhino codebase
proper. I'd create org.mozilla.javascript.commonjs package to hold it, and we
could have a method similar to initStandardObjects(), i.e. initCommonJs()
that'd initialize it - basically install a require() function with the expected
semantics in the top-level scope. I want leave some of its aspects  - most
notably lookup of the module script - pluggable, defined by interfaces in the
org.mozilla.javascript.commonjs package, so that specific embeddings of Rhino
(JS app servers) can install their own module resolver logic. I'd provide a
default implementation for the shell too.

As I foresee that several Rhino-based JS products will adopt CommonJS in the
near future, it seems desirable to not have all of them reinvent the wheel
(even though some already did, I'm guilty of coding my own require() too in the
next-gen version of my company's server-side JS enviroment...).

Opinions?

Attila.