From: Nicholas Sorrell <n...@cint.io>
Sent: Tuesday, March 9, 2021 6:07:32 AM
To: dev@age.apache.org <dev@age.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] AGE Container Support

Because Docker builds can support multiple tags, I would propose that the
default `latest` tag point to the latest stable release and that version
tagging becomes explicit (i.e., 0.3.0) in the future AGE Docker images. I would
also propose a `dev` tag that points to the head of the chosen development
branch.

Regarding if the containers should include Postgres, I would say yes. I think
the main goal of the containers is to make it easy to use/try/contribute-to
AGE, and as long as the Docker Hub images are automated, the Dockerfile will be
viewable by users who want to learn how they can include the extension into
their own custom build of PG (such as TimeScale). For example, anyone looking
for dependencies and build steps could look at
https://hub.docker.com/r/sorrell/agensgraph-extension/dockerfile.

When it comes to virtualization, I think including PG is good. As AGE matures,
the team should look to support binary releases and utilize package management
(apt/debs, yum/rpms) so that it's easier to install AGE without compiling.

--
Nick Sorrell