AFAICT the very last 'nit' is our bad habit of using the deprecated
readdir_r()/readdir64_t() functions in modern gcc. Comparing ./configure
and make reminds me I had a kludge to finish in my working 1.7 tree. See
https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Reading_002fClosing-Directory.html
for a lengthy explanation.

If anyone knows of anything else to address before we attempt to T&R a
1.7.0 release, please holler in the next day (this plea has been a standing
request for nearly a month on the apr dev list.)

Pre-tag retests on obscure architectures, which may have been disrupted by
recent BSD/OSX fixes would be very much appreciated.