I was seeing Netty's unsafe classes being used here, not mapped byte
buffer  not sure if that statement is completely correct but I'll have to
dog through the code again to figure that out.

The more I was looking at unsafe, it makes sense why that would be
used.apparently it's also supposed to be included on Java 9 as a first
class API