I wanted to share some status updates: I do have a list of changes to build
Arrow with a recent version of Java using the `--release` plugin option of
javac.
The full change is available at: https://github.com/laurentgo/arrow/pull/3

Here are roughly how the changes are divided:
* Change access to MemoryUtil.UNSAFE to private, and replace direct
invocation of sun.misc.Unsafe methods with MethodHandle instances. The
reason for this change is that sun.misc.Unsafe class is not available when
using `--release` option (see https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8206937)
* Update some maven plugin dependencies to latest versions like
maven-compiler-plugin
* Add a new profile to allow for cross-version testing. The profile is
enabled by using `-Darrow.test.jdk-version=<jdk version to use>` where
version can be 1.8, 11, 17, ...

Next steps: integrate the change with Arrow CI/CD environment (which is why
the change was not posted as a pull request against apache/arrow repository
yet). The main issue is that linux builds do not happen directly within the
GH runner (like macos or windows build) but inside a container.
Unfortunately there's only one JDK version available within the container,
so my next step would need to find a way to extend the image or create a
new one. If people have other options in mind, I'm also all ear.

Laurent