When you implement an equi-join as a nested loops join, the right-hand side
always has a filter combining the variable set by the left-hand side and the
join column on the right-hand side.

You will need to do a full scan of the right-hand table every time, unless your
table is organized so that you can access a subset that matches the filter.

In your example

 select emp.name
   from emp join dept on emp.deptid = dept.id
       where dept.name = ‘Sales'

The simple plan would be

 Correlate (v := deptno)
   Filter name = ’Sales'
     Scan dept
   Filter deptno = $v
     Scan emp

If “emp” was physically ordered by deptno, the plan could be optimized to

 Correlate (v := deptno)
   Filter name = ’Sales'
     Scan dept
   RangeScan emp deptno = $v