Julian>All of those changes were done by Vladimir. Not one of these changes
Julian>adds a single feature, or fixes a single bug, in "Calcite the
Julian>product", the library we deliver to our end-users.

Julian, I see you are frustrated that one of your use-cases is broken.
It is really sad it goes like that, and, please understand that it was not
planned.
It looks like to be the only defect so far which is remarkably good.

It is fine to ignore all my emails (except this one, see below).
I'm really surprised to hear "Not one of these changes adds a single
feature or fixes a single bug".

It is not Gradle's/JUnit's/Vladimir's fault that you do not care to
read/ask/investigate regarding features added and bugs fixed.

I see the following options to proceed:
A) You do your due diligence (e.g. read JIRA comments, read mails, ask
somebody, etc, etc), recognize there are both features added and bugs
fixed, and you apologise
B) You apologise, and stop using "Not one of these changes adds or
fixes"-like justifications
C) You prove that the changes indeed "neither add nor fix things". Note:
"Not one of these changes adds or fixes" are your words, and it is you who
should justify them.

Please let me know your vision on the way to proceed here.

I assume we do not count trivial changes like fixing typos here.
Let us consider just the major stuff like "loading code to IDE",
"configuring IDE", "creating new files/classes", "build times", "CI
output", "code style feedback", "integrated testing between Calcite and
Avatica", "release steps", "reproducible builds", "licensing", and so on.

For instance: "Maven-based build was not working after import to IDEA", and
"Gradle-based build is working right after the import".
"Maven-based build did not configure import order" while the current one
configures import order automatically.
"Maven-based build did not configure copyright headers" while the new one
does configure copyright headers, so newly created files have the proper
headers.
^^ the above suggests "C" is not viable.

Julian>After 3 or 4 days, I am still unable to run the
Julian>test and have Intellij show the difference in a pop-up window

You have asked for help exactly 0 times.
Please remember that dev@ list is exactly for sharing knowledge among the
developers.

Julian>I ran into a problem running SqlPrettyWriterTest a few
Julian>days ago[1] that did not exist a few months ago

SqlPrettyWriterTest and DiffRepository were created by yourself.
You are in a much much better position to understand the logic behind
SqlPrettyWriterTest and DiffRepository than anybody else here.

Julian>After 3 or 4 days, I am still unable to run the
Julian>test and have Intellij show the difference in a pop-up window.

Do you mean you've spent 3-4 days trying to figure out how
SqlPrettyWriterTest and DiffRepository work?
Does that suggest it is worth simplifying that code?

AFAIK, there's a PR#1671 with the fix. Does it work for you?

Julian> I can into another, and another

It has no weight as it is not justified.
Please let us know if you happen to run into a real issue.

Vladimir