Oh, wow, I think I heard my name.

First, big disclaimer that I haven't really worked with any of this stuff
for years, so take what I say with a big pinch of salt. I have no idea of
what's the current state of things in OpenSSL-land.

As far as I can remember, the desire to do runtime discovery was for easy
of packaging software using the library. For my company at the time, the
main use was for Apache Spark and other software that people don't
generally embed into their apps, but instead run directly from a package
provided by Apache (or some distribution). Having to build multiple
versions of an already large package and have to teach people to figure out
what's the version that they need was just too much of a hassle.

Maybe there are better ways to do that runtime discovery without the C code
having to introspect into the shared libraries. Maybe that isn't even
needed these days because the libssl API is more stable and the world has
moved on from 1.0.

Anyway, I won't make suggestions because I don't want to talk about things
that I'm completely out of touch with these days, but please don't hold
back on making changes because of something that, at the time, might have
made sense but these days may not.

--
Marcelo Vanzin
van...@gmail.com