Hi all,

I've been working on a project for 4-5 years now which I think would make a
good Apache project, at least in terms of it being valuable, high-quality
software. We're using it internally for our production systems at work, but the
code is open (hosted on GitHub). Our process to date has been somewhat lacking
(starting out as a 1-man project, now up to 3-4 regular contributors). The
project is called Indy (https://github.com/Commonjava/indy).

I'm going through the incubator proposal template, and it seems like we could
make a fairly compelling (IMHO) argument for acceptance. I've thought this for
some time now...BUT:

With my history working in and promoting the Maven community in the past, I'm
hesitant to say that I can give Indy the exposure necessary to attract a really
thriving, diverse community. This is not a strong area for me personally, as
talking about myself and my work doesn't come naturally. Also, I've got a lot
of existing commitments in life, many of which revolve around Indy at work, but
which don't leave a lot of room for doing extra promotion work.

I saw the thread about creating non-coding functional "centers" inside of
Apache to provide a recognition path for non-coding contributions, and I think
that's an incredibly cool idea. It got me wondering if we have anything in the
Incubator that can help with the community-building part, for projects who have
a more, well, introverted development team.

Does the Incubator have some facility or capability to help project teams
attract a broader community?

I believe in the quality and value of Indy, but I'm not sure I myself have all
the talents necessary to give it the long life it deserves.

Thanks,

-john