Bertrand Delacretaz wrote on 3/5/19 7:23 AM:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 1:16 PM Mark Cox <m...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ... So before investing too more time into this, I wanted to find out if
>> there's been any real attempt or plan or investigation to replace the DOAP
>> files within ASF with something else....
...snip...
> It might take some initial effort to consolidate that data and fix the
> software that uses it but I think it's well worth it. Considering that
> this is infrastructure related, we might ask for funding for this
> initial cleanup task as I'm not sure we'll get there with volunteer
> energy only.

Indeed, centralizing project (including podling) metadata - somehow! -
is a real need that we've never been able to meet.  I also support
finding funding for this to task infra to work on it (which is a topic
for other lists, but it's important to note it here).

Key design criteria:

- Easy to maintain the whole system.

- Easy to consume for all users - whimsy especially (since other places
rely on that), the www.a.o website, *plus* external consumers who might
want to scrape our project universe.

- Easy for projects to update.  In particular, having Maven,
Cocoon/Forrest, GitHub plugins to auto-generate needed data is key; we
can't ask all projects with existing widely-used tooling to have to add
unusual steps to their release processes.

Presuming board/ops/infra make this a real project (i.e. funding and
timeline), where should the design discussion happen?

--

- Shane
  Director & Member