+1 for JFDI

I am generally not supportive of positive discrimination.  But I recognize that
I can afford not to be.

As Shane says it's irrelevant what I think unless I'm going to put effort into
an alternative (remember a -1 around here means you object and will work on a
better alternative). Feel free to force the naysayers to put effort into
"fixing" what they consider to be broken about a positive discrimination
approach.

I say this, not just because it's the Apache Way, but also because of a day job
experience...

At work we had a period of what I consider positive discrimination. I was
really pissed off at first. I felt it was holding me back (wrongly, but that's
what it felt like).

Guess what happened...

I woke up one day and realized what I was experiencing was discrimination.
Discrimination of the sort minorities at work were feeling. I felt there were
barriers, even if they were only social ones that could be torn down wiith
effort. That was one surprisingly effective lesson!

Today at work every employee has a required D&I commitment. We get to choose
what we do, but we have to show some effect in the industry. The change I've
seen at work is amazing.

My point is, I've learned that while I object to positive discrimination for
(IMHO) really good reasons  there are even better reasons why a period of it
can help.

I'm not going to (intentionally) actively discriminate for or against anyone.
But I will protect your right, as an individual, to do so as long as you
protect my right to help you achieve the right balance in our broader
communities by stamping out the existence of any discrimination (positive or
negative).

Community over code

Ross