I like the idea, not silly at all, but I think it has one caveat.

Contrary to what you wrote about the ASF values, I think (that's my
first thought at least) that if it happens it should be an individual
initiative of some members. And IMHO there should be no formal
board/ASF affiliation IMHO because then it is - at least that's my gut
feeling - quite contrary to the values and the ASF legal status.

As I see it - people representing the Support Inc. company (even if
they are from ASF) should not really be "ASF representatives" because
if they do, this puts some responsibilities and guarantees on both
sides (and especially on the ASF). There are certain guarantees that
come with more or less formal association with the ASF brand and I
think if the board overlooks the "Support Inc." - by definition it has
some guarantees (and I do not know for sure but that would likely not
be legal when it comes to the ASF status). But that would not (I
think) preclude that some of the founders are board members. As long
as there is a good care about conflict of interests separation, the
multiple-hat idea is quite easy to apply here.

That would likely make Support Inc. less "attractive" - especially for
the potential customers (precisely because of the lack of those
guarantees by the ASF). But on the other hand, if this company is run
and started by people who are "well established" in the OSS community
the attractiveness of such a Support Inc. company is already high. If
anything, by the network of individual relations of those people who
start it. In a way this would be similar approach as Tidelift (some of
the people there are with the OSS background), but it could be
structured differently (with different incentivization for both
customers and contributors, focusing more on individual relationships
of people who would start it rather than on "brand/company", different
marketing and promotion ideas - so it could be better suited for the
ASF projects. And it could become part of the "ecosystem" around the
ASF (which the ASF could actually list on the page among others like
Tiidelfit without endorsement or guarantees). So it might be a YABD
(Yet Another But Different) Tidelift-like company.

This is a model similar to many ASF projects commercial activities -
there are people, individuals with merit and experience in the project
and they decide to start or join a commercial company that puts their
stakes with the project. There are many stories like that and even if
some of the people are PMC members and committers that might work.
I see that it could work here as well. I think it is important to see
if there can be a real business model behind it. On top of doing "good
support" for the contributors, such a company would have to simply
have some business model and be a normal "business" I think.

I am not sure if such an approach is contrary to the idea of yours
Chris, or whether this is something that you also considered or
whether "non-official-affiliation" is a "killer" in your idea (I hope
not :). And I am not 100% sure if my "non-affiliation" is that
important. I think it is, but I would love to hear what others and You
have to say there.

J.