On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Bob Dionne
<dio...@dionne-associates.com> wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2012, at 9:22 PM, Brian Mitchell wrote:
>
>> Has there been any discussion around BigCouch integration strategies? It
>> seems like it would fit the bill for the next undertaking on the general
>> couch side. Does anyone from Cloudant have a suggestion for the timeline
>> here?
>
> There's been a lot of discussion in #couchdb and #couchdb-dev but little on
> the ml. I'm not sure about timeline. There seems to be a lot of issues, most
> of them minor technical ones (the type that readily bog down once more than 3
> people get involved). BigCouch embeds couchdb and was architected to be the
> clustering layer that couchdb lacks, so in that sense I think we're in pretty
> good shape.
>
> Ideally we'd have one common code base but it may be that some configuration
> of components is done at build time, perhaps driven by 3 types, mobile,
> single instance, and clustered
>
> Does it make sense to anyone to think of this in the opposite direction,
> .i.e. upgrade/enhance BigCouch to the latest couchdb and then call that
> couchdb 2.0?

I was thinking that having a single instance that you could upgrade as
a cluster member with just a configuration swicth would be a better
plan. With smart rebalancing I could create cluster really
dynamically. I understand  that currently it will be hard technically
to do that since couch embedded in bigcouch has been modified to get
some infos from the cluster (like the design doc, validate func ...)
but it's still possible. Not sure if it should happen first, but I
really wish we follow this way rather than creating different
instances types.

- benoƮt