The ASF often ends up doing GSoC. I don't think we've ever had the
sponsor within the project for it (or for Outreachy, for that matter).

The most critical part is being available on a regular basis for proper
mentoring. If you don't think you can get that into your schedule, don't
volunteer. Assume you will get zero support from any other developer
(not true, but best to plan for the worst case situation...)

The second most critical part is to come up with a self-contained
project that makes sense for CouchDB. The most obvious thing to me would
be Fauxton work, esp. as it falls into the "sweet spot" of JS
development. I dunno how good of a target main is, given how in flux it
is; others might have a better take on that. There's also this PR that
never finished up:

  https://github.com/apache/couchdb/issues/1254

These topics are all probably too big, but maybe one of them could be
cut down to something summer-sized:

  https://github.com/apache/couchdb/projects/1

Thanks for taking on this initiative! I know for a fact I won't have
time this summer, or I'd agree to join you.

-Joan