On 28/10/2021 16:44, Adam Kocoloski wrote:
I think we could benefit from making these projects more visible. Paul’s jiffy library for JSON processing is a nice counterexample where he's gotten non-trivial contributions from the broader Erlang community by putting a little distance between it and CouchDB. Do others agree?

No opinion here, but:

If so, I’ve been thinking about some next steps that would help on that front:
- activating GH Issues (and maybe even Discussions?)

The only ASF thing is that we must ensure that all of the Issues traffic ends up on a mailing list for archival purposes. (I think Infra are still working on mirroring Discussions traffic.)

Mirroring that traffic and enabling issues is in fact self-serve now:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Git+-+.asf.yaml+features#Git.asf.yamlfeatures-Notificationsettingsforrepositories

and

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Git+-+.asf.yaml+features#Git.asf.yamlfeatures-Repositoryfeatures

If you want Discussions you have to open an Infra ticket.

- releases published in Hex? (bit worried about the interaction with ASF
release requirements here)

"Real" source releases would still have to go through voting and 3 +1 PMC votes - this could be made simpler for the community at large. with documentation on how to test these applications independently of CouchDB.

Binary releases aren't "real" releases, but they would need to be paired with actual ASF releases due to policy. No problem with them being on Hex just as there's no problem with us being on Docker or any other binary stream, just so long as we do the "official" dance first.

-Joan