On 11/20/20 1:07 PM, Bharath Vissapragada wrote:
* All individuals mentioned in a sign-off*must*  be capable of giving a
binding vote (i.e. they are an HBase committer)

It appears that the original intent
<http://web.archive.org/web/20160507011446/http://gerrit.googlecode.com/svn/documentation/2.0/user-signedoffby.html>of
this sign-off feature in git mandates that the signing-off party to be a
maintainer. So agree with you in theory. However, most times non-committers
also give great feedback and help with the code review process (code
reviews, testing, perf etc). I think acknowledging their contribution in
some form would be nice and that encourages potential-future-committers to
actively review PRs IMO. So how about we annotate their names with
Reviewed-by tags? A related discussion
<https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2009-October/003036.html>  on a
different open source project has more tag definitions if we are interested
in taking that route.

(I know you are only talking about the "signed-off by" tag but I thought
this discussion would be relevant when documenting this in the dev
guidelines, hence bringing it up). What do you think?

I would be happy with distinguishing Signed-off-by and Reviewed-by as a way to better track metrics on contributors who review others' code.

Great idea!