On 2/16/22 12:24 AM, Sean Busbey wrote:
Regarding the original question, I would be in favor of the proposal. Time
marches on. I assume just to state the obvious that our destination of
minimum LTS would shift from 8 to 11.

Yes, sorry I should have expressly stated JDK11 would become the minimum
with some release after HBase 3.

I got here because I wanted to start working on qualifying JDK17 as a
runtime environment but then realized we were putting more caveats on JDK11
than I expected.

Hadoop 2 isn’t exactly dead, at least the source branch is still receiving
occasional update, but is not releasing. We should probably consider it
effectively EOL.

IIRC we've already dropped Hadoop 2 support for HBase 3.

Correct.

The Hadoop minimum could become 3.3. The primary consideration to my mind
is the state of S3A: in what version it can be said to be stable and
feature complete. I think 3.3 is the appropriate code line for that
criteria but perhaps 3.2 could serve as well.

I really like this as a criteria. Anyone else have an idea on this?

I believe we've been benefiting from S3A changes from Hadoop 3.3 inside at Cloudera already. However, I believe that we'll actually see more "pains" once we get the storefile tracking feature solid (whereas today, transient/perf problems we might face in S3A would be hidden by the fact that we're doubling our I/O costs on compaction, memstore flushes, etc).

I have not been following super-closely, but let me see if I can bring this in front of Steve or someone else from Cloudera to chime in.