I was thinking the sender would typically wrap send() in a backoff/retry
loop, or else ignore any failures and drop sends on the floor
(fire-and-forget), and in both cases I think failing immediately is better
than blocking for a new spot in the queue or asynchronously failing somehow.

I think a failed future is adequate for the "explicit backpressure signal"
while avoiding any blocking anywhere. I think if we try to asynchronously
signal the caller of failure (either by asynchronously failing the future
or invoking a callback off-thread or something) we'd force the caller to
either block or poll waiting for that signal, which somewhat defeats the
purpose we're after. And of course blocking for a spot in the queue
definitely defeats the purpose (tho perhaps ameliorates the problem some).

Throwing an exception to the caller directly (not via the future) is
another option with precedent in Kafka clients, tho it doesn't seem as
ergonomic to me.

It would be interesting to analyze some existing usage and determine how
difficult it would be to convert it to the various proposed APIs.

Ryanne