Hi Philip,

Thanks for the write-up.
Some questions:

1. You said: If we don't need a coordinator, the background thread will
stay in the *initialized* state.
But in the definition of *initialized, *it said:
*initialized*: The background thread completes initialization, and the loop
has started.
Does that mean, even if we don't need a coordinator, we still create a
coordinator and run the loop? And why?

2. Why do we need so many rebalance states?
After this proposal, we'll change the state number from 4 to 8.
And we will have many state changes and state check in the code. Could you
explain why those states are necessary?
I can imagine, like the method: `rebalanceInProgress`, will need to check
if the current state in
PREPARE_REVOCATION/REVOKING_PARTITION/PARTITION_REVOKED/PREPARING_REBALANCE/.../...
.
So, maybe you should explain why these states are necessary. To me, like
PREPARE_REVOCATION/REVOKING_PARTITION, I don't understand why we need 2
states for them? Any reason there?

3. How could we handle the Subscription state change in poll thread earlier
than REVOKE_PARTITION/ASSIGN_PARTITION events arrived?
Suppose, background thread sending REVOKE_PARTITION event to poll thread,
and before handing it, the consumer updates the subscription.
So in this situation, we'll still invoke revoke callback or not?
This won't happen in current design because they are handing in one thread.

4. *Is there a better way to configure session interval and heartbeat
interval?*
These configs are moved to broker side in KIP-848 IIRC.
Maybe you can check that KIP and update here.

Some typos and hard to understand
5. Firstly, it _mcomplexfixes_ increasingly difficult ???
6. it simplifies the _pd_ design ? What is pd?
7. In "Background thread and its lifecycle" section, I guess the 2 points
should be 3c and 3d, right?
That is:
a. Check if there is an in-flight event. If not, poll for the new events
from the channel.
b. Run the state machine, and here are the following scenario:
c. Poll the networkClient.
d. Backoff for retryBackoffMs milliseconds.

Thank you.
Luke